BLOGGER TEMPLATES Funny Pictures

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Stephen King...

I was sitting here thinking about my vampire book that has been five years in the making and my mind drifted to Stephen King for some reason... not that I think I could ever equal his skill or imagination, but thinking about what it takes to succeed in book writing. Certainly not writing long convoluted sentences like my first one above. Any way, I was thinking how important imagination is in creating a story. Not that skill, grammar, education, and perhaps luck aren't important, but without imagination, what do you write? That's what lead my mind to Stephen King. What causes or creates a mind that can think up some of the most bizarre horror books ever? I guess that is the question for the ages. Does environment, TV, movies, parents, friends, society, school... what creates imagination? Is it a gift at birth or is it grown out of experiences? I really don't know, but I think it is key to writing for the simple fact you have to think of something to write about. Stephen King has more imagination in his pinky than most people have in their entire body. I admire him for that. Horror is not his only genre, look at The Shawshank Redemption book for one. One of my all time favorite movies. Then you have The Shining, which is probably my favorite horror film. Talent for sure, but imagination beyond belief. Here's a clip from several Stephen King movies set to the song Thriller by Michael Jackson. The music is in sync with the clips and is a good sample of his brilliant career. Enjoy the clip... remember to pause Mytubex before looking at the clip!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

It's funny your comment on imagination. When you were telling me tonight about writing your book and I said I haven't worked on mine for a long time because it requires imagination. Funny. Anyhow, I think with some people they are just born with it. Kind of like people like you who can draw well. Even if you have the life experiance it doesn't necessarily give you the talent to write about it. Ya know what I mean? It's true you can be born with the gift and still have to practice and work at it to hone your skill so to speak. I don't know. We'll never really know why different people are good at different things. Maybe it's Gods way of keeping things interesting. Hope you had fun staying with the floors tonight and catching up on your Dark Shadows! :)

frgodbeyjr said...

Thanks for the comment Elise. I didn't get out of the store till 5:20am this morning. Michelle called and said the floors look great. She also said I am working in the Meredith store tomorrow...